Friday, January 25, 2013

Alexander McQueen

As the month of January comes to an end, we can not forget to post on the true "Original"- Alexander McQueen.  


If you did not see the Savage Beauty Exhibit at the MET, here are a few pictures and quotes we will never forget-


"[This collection predicted a future in which] the ice cap would melt... the waters would rise and... life on earth would have to evolve in order to live beneath the sea once more or perish.
...Humanity [would] go back to the place from whence it came."

"There is no way back for me now.  I am going to take you on journeys you've never dreamed were possible."


"I want to be honest about the world that we live in, and sometimes my political persuasions come through in my work.  Fashion can be really racist, looking at the clothes of other cultures as costumes. ...That's mundane and it's old hat.  Let's break down some barriers."


"It's important to look at death because it is a part of life.  It is a sad thing, melancholic but romantic at the same time.  It is the end of a cycle- everything has to end.  The cycle of life is positive because it gives room for new things."


"[I try to] push the silhouette.  To change the silhouette is to change the thinking of how we look.  What I do is look at ancient African tribes, and the way they dress.  The rituals of how they dress... There's a lot of tribalism in the collections"


"My friend George and I were walking on the beach in Norfolk and there were thousands of [razor-clam] shells.  They were so beautiful, I thought I had to do something with them.  So, we decided to make [a dress] out of them... The shells had outlived their usefulness on the beach, so we put them to another use on a dress.  Then Erin [O'Conner] came out and trashed the dress, so their usefulness was over once again.  Kind of like fashion, really."

"It needs to connect with earth.  Things that are processed and reprocessed lose their substance."


"Beauty can come from the strangest of places, even the most disgusting of places."

"It's the ugly things I notice more, because other people tend to ignore the ugly things."


"Birds in flight fascinate me.  I admire eagles and falcons.  I'm inspired by a feather but also its color, it's graphics, its weightless and its engineering.  It's so elaborate.  In fact I try and transpose the beauty of a bird to women."


"Remember Sam Taylor-Wood's dying fruit?  Thing rot.... I used flowers because they die.  My mood was darkly romantic at the time."


"I especially like the accessory for its sadomasochistic aspect."


"Let me not forget the use of my own hands, that of a craftsman with eyes... that reflect the technology around me."

BE an ORIGINAL!