Charleston is a place like no other in the South. Continuing our celebration of the color white through January, we thought these images were worth sharing. Each image below sets a historic tone only Charleston can sing.
And, we could not resist again sharing a few interesting facts about the color white.
- A white flag is the universal symbol for truce.
- The word "white" comes from the Indo-European root kweit meaning "to shine".
- The ancient Greeks wore white to bed to ensure pleasant dreams.
- It's considered good luck to be married in a white garment.
- "White lightning" is slang for moonshine, a homebrewed alcohol.