Potato Leek Soup is a classic British recipe, which is served hot during the winter and cold during the summer. Potato Leek Soup is also known as Vichyssoise, and is said to have originated in France, however there are many disputes on the origin. Wherever it comes from, it is delicious, easy and cheap to make! Enjoy this recipe based on a recipe from British Leeks...
- 8 leeks, trimmed, washed and finely chopped in a food processor
- 2 sticks of celery, roughly chopped
- 50g/2oz Butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and diced
- 1.5l/3 pt liters vegetable stock
- ¼ pt/150ml single cream
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- Gently sweat the shredded leek and celery in the butter and olive oil for 5 minutes to soften. Add the diced potato and stock. Bring to a gentle simmer. Cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Whiz in batches in a food processor with the single cream and seasonings to a coarse consistency. Top with strips of cooked leek or other garnish and serve with warm crusty bread or crackers.
|Photo Courtesy of British Leeks|